Friday, November 8, 2013

Silhouette gift making

Hello there, it's my turn to share on the Scrapbooksteals blog. This week has been "Gift Week" across the Steals sites so Melodee asked me to create some giftable things using my Silhouette Cameo. I couldn't stop with just one project so there's a few projects and a lot of photos and I hope you can hang with me and get inspired to make some of your own gifts this season!

First up, is a Christmas present that I made for my hubby's graduate studies advisor. She is a huge Harry Potter fan so I bought some of the files and used the Cameo to cut vinyl stencils for etching glassware. I was pretty excited to get started because even though I've owned Silhouette machines for years I've always wanted to etch glass and never buckled down and did it.


I etched the Harry Potter logo on one side of each glass. On the opposite point on the circle I etched some of the more iconic images that were available as cut only files - snitch, quidditch player, the house creatures.




I made eight "finished" glasses, and these sets of four will give you a good idea of the end result. 


I confess, I made a little gifty for myself too because I was dying to use the Hazel & Ruby Chalk It Up that I snagged while at the Scrapbooksteals Retreat. 


The frame/tray was something I picked up at the thrift store and have been wanting to find reason to alter it. I used a couple of different files from the Silhouette store for this one - the key and both kinds of banners. 


Each layer is inked and adhered with Mod Podge, then since it will live in my kitchen/dining room area I used a water proof sealer to preserve it just a little longer. With two under 5 in the house you just can't be to careful!



Next up, I made cookie boxes for my neighbors last year and loved doing it so much that I decided to get a head start on the process by making them now! Sweet. I used a Lori Whitlock cookie box file from the Silhouette Studio store. 


I hadn't used this file before so I decided I needed to put some samples in one for the photo, I was pleased to find that it holds a dozen bakery cookies. My kids quickly raided those and trashed the box. Guess I'll have to whip up one more!


I used Authentique Wonder papers I'd gotten in a Christmas kit on Steals last year, paired with some new American Crafts ribbons. 


The plastic opening was made by adhering the thin plastic packaging from paper kits to the frame. I did a quick wipe down with some antibacterial wipes before putting the cookies into the box.


My boys like to sit and help me craft, and they kept stashing my extra Christmas ribbons into boxes that hadn't been tied with ribbons. It did look really cute, and I might just have to cut some more boxes to hold some of their stocking presents. Or maybe use them as organizers.



This may be the last one I'm showing you, but it's the first I've given away - a little hostess gift for dinner with friends a couple of nights ago. The wine box is another fun file from the Silhouette Store. The file's designer, Jamie, has a tutorial on her blog.


Check out that label, three layers of yummy cardstock! And then a big fall leaf from the floral department and an old metal tag.


I was a little disappointed that the file didn't have a closure of any kind, the box itself seemed unstable once I put a bottle in it so I pulled out some twine to wrap around the entire box. Isn't is awesome how it dressed up the box? I think it really says fall now and it didn't feel like it would fall apart when I moved it around the house. 


The ruffle along the edge of the box top was made by folding My Mind's Eye Indie Chic washi along the edge. 


The lid simply hinges back and there's a couple of tabs to hold the bottle of wine, or sparkly juice, in place.


And here's one of the inside of the box. Surprise! Bunnies! You don't say?! I wish I'd considered their orientation when setting up my mat, but I just loved the leathery kraft color that this Authentique Hope paper had and had to use it for the box regardless of the print. 

\

Thanks for stopping by, I hope that I've inspired you to get started on some fun gift giving this year!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is some line up of creative crafty gift making. You are decidedly ahead of the game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas! She must have loved the glasses! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...