Monday, July 23, 2012

Hero

When a friend lost a distant cousin who'd been in the armed forces at first I didn't think to much of it, I just said a prayer for the family and went on with my day. A few days later she told me that the funeral was getting a little negative attention and the community was engaging to create a human wall - wearing red. I've been to a funeral where that group was present and they make me ill - I was now a little more emotionally involved. No one needs those guys around!

This friend happens to be the one who got me involved in Pinterest, so she saw this as an opportunity to  test out a project idea. She wanted to bleach t-shirts with some text/graphic for her and a mutual friend to wear to the wall. We ended up cutting a file from the Silhouette store and set to work bleaching over the die cut. The darker red shirt was the first we did, as a "tester" and turned out AWESOME. I love how the dog tags just pops off the shirt. The true red shirts she'd bought didn't absorb the bleach as well so we used some spray ink to help the tag pop out a bit. That ink took a seriously long time to dry but looks pretty cool. 


Some two thousand people from our community (and some neighboring ones!) went to stand in support of family and country. I ended up staying home with the kiddos while Scientist stood in the heat for hours. I'm glad I was able to do something to help, even if it was just a silly shirt. 



1 comment:

  1. NOT silly! Getting involved, no matter how indistinct or distant is what connects us and builds our communities. My day is brighter, so I can't help but think that, even unknowingly, the family felt your support.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...