Saturday, June 2, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend

Eventually this is about crafting, but let's start off with I ran my first 5K in over 3 months. Killer.  See me here at the finish line? Nope, not the smiling one. I'm the other one. Want.To.Die.Must.Cross.Line. Yep, that's me.

Me running the Go Girl 5K, finished in roughly 37 minutes
My shirt did make me giggle a couple of times though, so it was well worth the effort I'd gone to to make it. I used some Silhouette heat transfer material and ironed on a phrase "this is not the hardest thing I've ever done." When I started ironing it I thought about it as a way to push myself, I'm out of shape, I can do it though, sort of thing. By the time I was done I was feeling like maybe it was a teensy bit cocky of me to have put on a shirt. So I asked the Scientist. His response, "it looks like a shirt with words." And that made many happy moments for me while I was running. 

While cleaning up/cooling off before a late breakfast with the in-laws I chanced upon Facebook and some of my favorite manufacturers were part of a blog hop for Operation Write Home. What a cool project. I make cards, military personnel send them back home to their families. 

I'm not a typical patriot. You will never see me wear Red, Blue and White *together.* Ever. I can't do it. Daddy was in the Air Force for a large portion of my life so I have a huge respect for those who choose to defend us/have done so in the past. But I can't figure out how me wearing those colors makes life any better for any of us. Rosie the Riveter made pieces of machinery, not cute RBW outfits after all.

But spending a little of my crafting budge to make cards? Cards that support the heroes out there just because I made one? Cards that support the families because they got a special something in the mail? THAT I can get behind. Plus, it gives me an extra reason to play along with card challenges, I just have to make sure to follow the OWH criteria too. Easy and fun.

So I've spent a couple of days sorting through my card stash, pulling all the older ones that will work and setting them aside. Then, Friday I used MCM #86 to make my first official OWH cards! YES!

American Crafts Amy Tangerine Sketchbook
Marth Stewart ink
WRMK Sew Easy Stamper
Glossy Accents

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...